serves 2 - 3
225g (8 oz), cooked Smoked Herring fillets
2 dessert apples
1 small onion
4 tablespoons double cream (heavy cream), 4 tablespoons natural yogurt
squeeze of lemon juice salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Chinese leaves to serve parsley sprigs and lemon wedges to garnish
2. Skin the Smoked Herring fillets, and cut into strips about 5 mm 1/4 in thick and about 3 to 5 cm (1 1/2 to 2 in long.
3. Core the apples (leaving the skin on) and cut into small chunks.
4. Slice the onion into extremely thin half rounds. There should be more or less equal quantities of these three ingredients, but cut down a little on the onion if it is strong.
5. Combine the cream and yogurt together, add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Mix into the Smoked Herring, apple and onion mixture. Arrange 4 large Chinese leaves on a platter, and heap the mixture into the cradle of each leaf.
7. Put wedges of lemon in between each leaf and distribute sprigs of parsley around the dish.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!