1 kg (2 1/4 lb) spinach, well washed and drained
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz unsalted butter
4 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml cups milk
6 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 large eggs
large pinch of grated nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (375°F) gas mark 4.
2. Cook the spinach with their stems in a little boiling, salted water for about 3 minutes until wilted.
3. Drain, squeeze dry and chop very finely — do not process in a blender.
4. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, then add the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
5. Add the milk a little at a time and mix well until a dense, smooth sauce is formed.
6. Take the pan off the heat, add the cheese, mix well and let cool.
7. When cooled, add the eggs and nutmeg and pour into a 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) 4 cup, non-stick mould.
8. Place the mould in a baking tray and pour water into the tray to come about 2.5 cm (1 in) up the sides of the mould.
9. Cook for about 50 minutes or until very firm. Let it cool slightly to set, then invert the mould on to a platter and serve.