4.5 kg (10 lb) goose
herb, sage or apple stuffing, or 2 lemons
fried apple or pineapple rings to garnish
1. Stuff the goose, or halve one of the lemons and rub the goose all over with the juice.
2. Peel the second lemon and place it inside the goose (to absorb some of the fat).
3. Truss the goose and' place it in a roasting tin.
4. Sprinkle with flour and roast in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
5. Reduce the temperature to moderate 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 and continue roasting for 15 minutes to each 450 g (1 lb)
6. A 4.5 kg (10 lb) goose should take about 2 1/2 hours, but if it is on the old and tough side, it may need 20 minutes to each 450 g (1 lb).
7. Serve garnished with fried apple or pineapple rings.
Note: A sour apple cooked in the tin with the goose will improve the gravy.