serves 4 - 5
3/4 cup (75 g) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 oz (75 g) medium oatmeal
2 oz (50 g) mixed margarine and lard
beaten egg or milk to glaze
for the filling
8 oz (225 g) spring onions or 1 medium leek, cut into 5 mm (1/4 inch) pieces
salt and pepper
1 bacon rasher, rinded and diced
25 g (1 oz) cheese, grated
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
2. Mix in the oatmeal, then rub in the fat until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Bind to a dough with cold water. Divide the dough in half and roll out each half into a round.
4. Use one round to line an 18 cm (6 inch) sandwich tin or baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the spring onion or leek pieces over the bottom of the pastry case and season well with salt and pepper.
6. Scatter over the bacon and cheese. Mix together the egg and milk and pour on top.
7. Place the second pastry round on top and pinch the dampened edges together to seal.
8. Decorate the top with dough trimmings, then brush with beaten egg or milk.
9. Bake in a preheated hot oven 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7 for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 and continue baking for 50 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
10. Serve hot or cold.