4 tablespoons chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
salt and pepper
4 plaice fillets, skinned
parsley sprigs and lemon wedges to garnish
for the bechamel sauce
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
1 slice of onion
1 slice of turnip
1 piece of celery or celery salt
1 bouquet garni
1 mace blade 3 peppercorns
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter or margarine
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
1. Mix together the mushrooms, parsley, onion, salt and pepper. Divide between the plaice fillets and fold in half.
2. Arrange in a greased baking dish and cover.
3. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, for the sauce, put the milk, onion, turnip, celery, bouquet garni, mace, peppercorns and cloves in a saucepan and heat until bubbles form around the edges.
5. Remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
6. Strain the milk. Melt the butter in a clean saucepan and add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the strained milk.
7. Bring to the boil and simmer, still stirring, until thickened.
8. Pour the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.