3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter
3 tablespoons flour
1.2 litres (2 pints) milk
8 oz (225 g) fat bacon, rinded and minced
8 oz (225 g) chicken livers, minced
6 eggs, beaten
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
few sliced olives or cooked mushrooms
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Gradually stir in the milk, then bring to the boil, stirring well.
3. Simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper,
4. Mix together the bacon, chicken livers, eggs, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper, then add half the sauce.
5. Turn into a greased souffle dish and place in a roasting tin of hot water.
6. Bake in a moderate oven 160°C (325°F) Gas mark 3 for about 1 hour. (This can be kept hot for another hour in a low oven, covered with foil or buttered greaseproof paper.)
7. When ready to serve, reheat the remaining sauce and stir in the olives or mushrooms.
8. Serve with the mould.