2 breasts of lamb, cut into 'riblets'
1 pint (600 ml) water
6 tablespoons malt vinegar
3 tablespoons plum jam
3 tablespoons tomato puree (paste) or sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon made mustard
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
saffron rice to serve
1. Put the lamb riblets in a saucepan with the water and 4 tablespoons of the vinegar.
2. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain the lamb.
3. Put the remaining ingredients, including the rest of the vinegar, in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until well combined.
4. Arrange the lamb riblets in a roasting tin and pour over the sauce.
5. Roast in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 40 minutes, basting the riblets with the sauce every 15 minutes.
6. Increase the heat to hot 230°C (450°F) Gas Mark 8 and roast for a further 10 minutes to crisp the coating.
7. Serve hot on a bed of saffron rice.