makes about 400 ml (14 fl oz)
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp (15 ml) medium-sweet sherry or brandy
3 tbsp (60 ml) double cream (heavy cream)
1. Put the sugar in a saucepan with 75 ml (5 tbsp) water.
2. Warm gently until the sugar is completely dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Mix the egg yolks with the sherry or brandy in a bowl.
4. Whisk in the syrup gradually, and continue whisking until the mixture is cool, thick and foamy.
5. In a second bowl, whip the cream lightly.
6. Fold it gently into the egg mixture. Chill.
7. Pour into tall glasses and serve with Ratafias
8. The sauce may also be served with cold desserts.