serves 4 - 6
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
pinch of salt
2 oz (50 g) shredded suet
5 tablespoons cold water
for the filling
2 cup (225 g) 8 oz cooking (tart) apples, peeled, cored and chopped
25 g (1 oz) sultanas (golden raisins)
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz Demerara (raw) sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz granulated sugar
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Mix in the suet, then bind to a dough with the water. Chill for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the apple, sultanas, demerara sugar and cinnamon.
3. Roll out the dough to a 34 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) rectangle.
4. Spoon the apple filling down the centre of the rectangle.
5. Dampen the dough edges, then fold the long sides over the filling followed by the short sides.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
7. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
8. Serve hot, cut into diagonal slices, with rum sauce or cold with cream.