serves 3 - 4
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
pinch of paprika
pinch of cumin seed
pinch of ground coriander
pinch of garlic powder
1 lb (450 g) minced beef
4 oz (100 g) canned tomatoes
8 oz (225 g) courgette (zucchini)s, sliced
450 ml (3/4 pint thick cheese sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1. Melt 25 g (1 oz) of the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion until lightly browned.
2. Stir in the bay leaf and spices, adding more if you wish, then crumble in the beef.
3. Fry until the beef is well browned.
4. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another pan. Add the courgettes and brown on all sides.
5. Add the courgettes to the meat mixture with the tomatoes. Simmer gently for 15 minutes until the mixture is thick.
6. Mix together the cheese sauce and egg.
7. Turn the meat mixture into a baking dish and cover with the cheese sauce.
8. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
9. Serve with a green vegetable.
53 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!