serves 4 - 6
175 g (6 oz) soft herring ' roes
4 bay leaves
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint cider
1 dill pickled cucumber, chopped
1 teaspoon capers
little olive oil
buttered toast or crispbread
cucumber slices to garnish
1. Spread the roes flat in a baking dish and arrange the bay leaves on top.
2. Put the cider, peppercorns and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then pour into the dish.
3. Cover the dish and cook in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 10 minutes. Cool.
4. Mix together the pickled cucumber, capers and oil and spread on toast or crispbread.
5. Set one or two of the roes, carefully curled, on top and garnish with a twist of fresh cucumber.