serves 5 - 6
1 x 1.5 kg (3 lb) chicken, cut into joints
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
2 onions, sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon flour
1 pint (600 ml) chicken stock
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon chutney or apricot jam
1 tablespoon sultanas (golden raisins)
1. Put the chicken joints in a saucepan, cover with warm water, add salt and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer until the chicken is tender. Drain the chicken and keep warm.
3. Melt the butter in another pan and fry the onions until they are golden brown.
4. Stir in the curry powder and flour, then gradually stir in the stock.
5. Add the vinegar, sugar, chutney or jam and sultanas and bring to the boil, stirring well.
6. Pour this sauce over the chicken joints in the other pan, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Serve with rice, accompanied by sliced bananas, cubes of tomato and desiccated coconut.