4 large Spanish onions
for the stuffing
2 oz (50 g) fresh breadcrumbs
4 oz (100 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon chutney or sweet pickle
1 egg beaten
salt and pepper
1. Cook the onions in boiling water for 15 minutes.
2. Drain and cool, then remove the centres carefully with a spoon. Chop the centres.
3. Mix together all the stuffing ingredients and add the chopped onion centres.
4. Use to stuff the onions and place them in a buttered baking dish.
5. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 45 to 50 minutes or until the onions are very tender and the stuffing is golden brown.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!