serves 6 - 8
1.5 kg (3 lb) topside of beef
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter or 2 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt stock
4 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint cream
for the marinade
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt red wine
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, sliced
4 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade in a deep bowl.
2. Add the meat and leave to marinate for 48 hours, turning occasionally.
3. Drain the meat, reserving the marinade.
4. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the meat on all sides.
5. Pour in the reserved marinade and the stock and bring to the boil.
6. Cover the casserole and transfer to a preheated cool oven 150°C (300°F) Gas Mark 2.
7. Cook for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
8. Remove the meat, slice it and arrange on a warmed serving platter. Keep hot.
9. Strain the cooking liquid, then thicken it with the flour.
10. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper and heat through gently.
11. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!