serves 4 - 5
350 g (12 oz) lamb's liver, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
salt and pepper
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter or margarine
1 lb (450 g) onions, thinly sliced
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt stock
2 tablespoons tomato puree (paste)
1 lb (450 g) potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
4 oz (100 g) cheese, grated
chopped parsley to garnish
1. Soak the liver in the milk for 1 hour.
2. Drain off the milk and reserve.
3. Mix the flour with salt and pepper and use to coat the liver pieces.
4. Melt the fat in a frying pan and fry the onions gently until they are softened.
5. Add the liver pieces and brown on all sides. Gradually stir in the stock, tomato puree and reserved milk and bring to the boil, still stirring.
6. Pour into a 1.2 litre (2 pint) casserole. Arrange the potato slices on top to cover and sprinkle with the cheese.
7. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for 20 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
8. Serve garnished with parsley.