1 lb rutabagas
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp bacon fat
4 strips bacon, crumbled
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1. Clean, peel and cube the rutabaga, and cook in boiling water until tender, then drain.
2. While rutabaga is cooking, fry bacon strips and reserve 2 tbsp or so of the grease; drain bacon and crumble.
3. Mash rutabaga thoroughly,then add all the other ingredients.
4. Put into a 2 qt casserole and bake at 350°F (180°C) gas 4. for 1 hour.
5. A pinch of cinnamon or ginger might be added.