2 cups hot mashed potato
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
for the filling
4 cups thinly sliced apples
2 tablespoons brown sugar
for the topping
1 teaspoon melted butter or margarine
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) gas 5.
2. Combine potato, butter, cinnamon, ginger and brown sugar. Mix well. Blend in flour. Reserve 3/4 cup for top of the pie.
3. On a sheet of wax paper or, better still, parchment paper, pat the remaining dough into a circle slightly larger than a 9-inch pie plate. Place a well-greased pie plate over dough. Lift and invert the dough into the pan. Remove wax paper. Arrange apple slices of potato mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Pat remaining 3/4 cup of potato mixture onto a 9-inch circle of wax paper. Invert over filled pie. Peel off paper, crimp and seal edges of dough around pie. Cut a vent in the center of the pie. Bake 45 to 50 minutes.
4. Brush top with 1 teaspoon melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar a few minutes before removing from oven.
5. Serve hot with whipped cream.