When kidneys are casseroled using the slow-start method, they become deliciously moist and tender. The yogurt thickens the sauce and lightens the flavour. Soak the pig's (pork) kidneys in milk for 2 hours before use.
12 lambs' or 6 pigs' kidneys
900g (2 lb) potatoes
1 large onion
10 black peppercorns
6 juniper berries
6 allspice berries
pinch sea salt
1 clove garlic
850 ml (1 1/2 pt) 3 3/4 cups stock
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt stabilized yogurt
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C (400°F).
2. Cut the kidneys in half lengthwise and snip out the cores.
3. Scrub and dice the potatoes.
4. Quarter and thinly slice the onion.
5. Crush the peppercorns, spices, salt and garlic together using a pestle and mortar. Mix them with the stock.
6. Layer the kidneys, onions and potatoes in a flameproof casserole or dutch oven and pour in the spiced stock.
7. Put the pan on top of the stove on a moderate heat and bring the contents to the boil.
8. Cover the pan and put it into the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
9. Stir in the yogurt just before serving.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!