1 quantity Shortcrust Pastry
1 pint (600 ml) milk
1/3 cup (50 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
350 g (12 oz) smoked haddock, flaked
450 g ( 1 lb) leeks, finely chopped
finely chopped green part of the leeks to garnish
1. Use the pastry to line a 25 cm( 10 in) flan tin or dish and bake blind in a moderately hot oven (200 c, 400 F, gas 6) for 10 minutes.
2. Put the milk, flour and butter together in a saucepan and bring gently up to simmering, whisking with a balloon whisk or stirring with a wooden spoon continuously as it thickens.
3. Continue to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Take off the heat, and fold in the flaked smoked haddock and finely chopped raw leeks.
5. Pour into the flan case and bake in a moderately hot oven 200°c (400°f) gas 6 for 20 minutes.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with the finely chopped green part of the leeks.