Leg of lamb, cooked by simmering in liquid, is tender and full of flavour and is well complemented by the sharp sauce.
Cooking time: 2 hours 15 minutes
1/2 leg lamb (knuckle end)
water to cover
30 ml (2 tbls) white wine vinegar
large bouquet garni which includes 2 mint sprigs
1 large carrot, cut in half lengthways
1 large onion, peeled and stuck with 4 cloves
1 stick celery, broken into several pieces
2 level tsp (10 ml) black peppercorns
for the sauce
275 ml (1/2 pt) poaching liquid
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt white wine vinegar
60 ml (4 tbls) chopped mint
30 ml (2 tbls) chopped chives
15 ml (1 tbls) chopped thyme
15 ml (1 tbls) chopped tarragon
4 chopped sorrel leaves, if available
1. Put all the simmering ingredients into a large saucepan.
2. Bring them to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Put in the lamb, bring it to the boil, skim, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Fifteen minutes before it is finished, pour off 275 ml ( 1/2 pt) or 1 1/4 cups of the poaching liquid.
5. Put it into a saucepan with the vinegar and herbs.
6. Bring them to the boil and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
7. Lift out the lamb, carve it and arrange it on a warm serving dish.
8. Serve the sauce separately.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!