2 oz (50 g) 2/3 cup burghul (bulgar) (bulgar) wheat
4 medium-sized green peppers
100 g (1/4 lb) 1 cup walnuts
2 small tomatoes
1 medium-sized onion
1 clove garlic
30 ml (2 tbls) oil
275 ml (1/2 pt) 1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable
stock 30 ml (2 tbls) tomato puree (paste)
15 ml (1 tbls) chopped thyme
15 ml (1 tbls) chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper
125 g (1/4 lb) grated Farmhouse (aged) Cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C (350°F).
2. Soak the burghul (bulgar) in water for 30 minutes.
3. Drain it and squeeze it dry.
4. Remove the stalks and seeds from the peppers, keeping them whole.
5. If necessary cut a thin slice from the bottom of each one to make them stand upright.
6. Finely chop the walnuts.
7. Scald, skin and finely chop the tomatoes.
8. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
9. Heat the oil in a large frying-pan on a low heat.
10. Mix in the onion and garlic and cook them until they are soft.
11. Take the pan from the heat and mix in the burghul (bulgar), tomatoes, 60 ml (4 tbls) stock, tomato paste, herbs and seasonings.
12. Mix them well and fill the peppers. Stand the peppers upright in a casserole and cover the tops with the cheese.
13. Cover the casserole and put it into the oven for 15 minutes.
14. Take off the lid and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes to allow the cheese to brown slightly.