serves 6 - 8
250 g plain flour
2 tsp spoons baking powder
1/2 cup (125 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated) or light brown soft sugar
2 tsp Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
1 stick (8 Tbsp) 115 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
1 medium egg beaten
200 ml milk
500 g (18 oz) bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced into 2 cm pieces (approx 3 apples)
2 tbsp Demerara (raw) sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5.
2. Lightly oil and flour a 20 cm loose bottomed deep cake tin.
3. In a bowl place the flour, baking powder, sugar and spice, mix together. Then add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add the egg and milk and mix to combine until you achieve a dropping consistency mixture. Fold in the apple.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and smooth the surface of the cake with the back of a spoon.
5. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar and place in the preheated oven and cook for 50-60 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.