Peanut butter is a great favourite with adults and children alike. Spread it on bread and top it with a smear of yeast extract or something sweet, like mashed banana. For the all-American snack, top it with cream cheese or a good preserve. You can also mix it into salad dressings in a similar way to tahini.
makes 450 g (1 lb)
225 g (1/2 lb) unroasted peanuts
30 ml (2 tbls) sunflower or groundnut (peanut) oil
pinch fine sea salt if required
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 1/2 (120°C) 250°F.
2. Spread the nuts out on a baking tray and put them into the oven for 20 minutes.
3. Cool them a little and rub off all the skins.
4. Put the nuts into a blender or food processor and work them until they are finely ground, stopping and easing them from the sides whenever necessary.
5. Add the oil and work again until you have a smooth paste.
6. Add the salt if required.
7. Put the butter in a screw-topped jar.
This amount will fill a 450 g (1 lb) jar about three-quarters full
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!