1. Prepare the fruit, leaving the stems on the cherries, grapes, strawberries and cherries.
2. Remove any pith from the satsuma segments.
3. Generously grease a large baking sheet and have ready 2 oiled forks.
4. Put the sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add 175 ml (6 fl oz) water.
5. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and boil the syrup until it turns a pale gold in colour.
6. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and dip the bottom of the pan in cold water to prevent the syrup from darkening any further.
7. Spear a fruit or nut on a fork, dip it in the hot caramel syrup, then allow the excess caramel to drip back into the pan.
8. Use the second fork to ease the fruit or nut on to the baking sheet.
9. Continue until all the fruits and nuts have been glazed, warming the syrup gently if it becomes too thick to use.
10. When the coating on all the fruits and nuts has hardened, lift them carefully off the baking sheet.
11. Serve in paper sweet cases.