1 pint (600 ml) single cream
1 blade of mace
10 cm/4 inch piece of cinnamon stick
4 tsp (20 ml) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sifted
triple-strength rose water to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) rennet essence
for the decoration
deep pink rose-petals or 1 red rose
1. Pour 500 ml (17 fl oz) of the cream into a saucepan, add the mace and cinnamon stick, and heat almost to boiling point.
2. Remove from the heat and infuse for 20 - 30 minutes.
3. Strain the cream into a clean bowl, discarding the spices. Add 10 ml (2 tsp) icing sugar to the cream with rose water to taste.
4. Cool to blood heat, and stir in the rennet. Pour gently into a decorative 750 ml (1 1/4 pint) serving bowl and leave to set in a warm room until cold and firm.
5. Pour the remaining cream into a jug. Flavour with rose water and very gently pour the flavoured cream over the set cream to a depth of 5 inch.
6. Sprinkle lightly all over with icing sugar.
7. Strew deep pink rose-petals around the edge of the dish or set one perfect red rosebud in the centre.
8. Serve with thin, crisp, plain or almond biscuits.