makes about 250 ml (8 fl oz)
1 level tbsp (15 ml) cornflour
250 ml (8 fl oz) milk
1 egg yolk
1 level tbsp (15 ml) sugar
few drops of vanilla essence
1. Mix the cornflour with a little of the cold milk in a large bowl.
2. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a saucepan, then stir into the blended mixture.
3. Return the mixture to the clean pan.
4. Bring the cornflour mixture to the boil and boil for 3 minutes to cook the cornflour.
5. Remove from the heat.
6. When the mixture has cooled a little, stir in the egg yolk and sugar.
7. Return to a low heat and cook, stirring carefully, until the sauce thickens. Do not let it boil.
8. Flavour with a few drops of vanilla essence and pour into a jug.