The French version of that Italian favourite, Zabaglione, Sabayon in usually served warm as an accompaniment to steamed pudding.
makes about 200 ml (7 fl oz)
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
50 ml (2 fl oz) Marsala, Madeira, sweet sherry or sweet white wine
small strip of lemon rind
1. Beat the yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl until thick and pale.
2. Gradually whisk in the chosen wine. Add the lemon rind.
3. Pour the mixture into a double saucepan or stand the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
4. Cook until thick and creamy, whisking all the time.
5. When the whisk is lifted out of the mixture it should leave a trail that lasts for 2 - 3 seconds.
6. Remove the lemon rind.
7. Serve at once.
42 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!