675 g (1 1/2 lb) rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz sugar
1 1/2 cups (175 g) 6 oz self raising (self rising) flour
1 level tsp (5 ml) baking powder
3 Tbsp (40 g) butter or margarine
2 tbsp (30 g) 1 oz sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
2 oz (50 g) mixed dried fruit
grated rind of 1 orange (optional)
about 75 ml (3 fl oz) milk, plus extra for brushing
1. Place the rhubarb and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook gently until the juice begins to run from the fruit and the sugar dissolves.
2. Stirring occasionally, continue to cook the rhubarb gently for 15 - 20 minutes, until tender. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
3. Set the oven at 230°C (450°F) gas 8.
4. Make the topping. Sift the flour into a bowl with the baking powder.
5. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar, spice, dried fruit and orange rind (if used).
6. Mix in enough of the milk to make a soft dough.
7. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface, knead it gently into a ball and roll it out to about 1 cm/1/2 inch thick.
8. Use a 5 cm (2 inch) round cutter to cut out scones.
9. Arrange the scones on top of the fruit.
10. Brush the scones with milk and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!