2 tbsp spoons corn oil
1 medium size onion, chopped finely
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tsps ground cardamom
2 cm piece of root ginger, peeled and chopped
6 - 12 cloves, to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsps ground coriander
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
500 g leam lamb cubed
150 g carton of natural yogurt
225 g basmati rice
2 bay leaves
2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
a few coriander leaves
1. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, and soften the onion and garlic in it.
2. Add all the spices, the lamb and the yogurt and stir until the meat changes colour.
3. Remove from the heat, cover and leave to marinate for at least half an hour and preferably overnight.
4. Rinse the rice and cook it with the bay leaves in plenty of boiling water for 5 - 6 minutes, then drain and pour into the casserole.
5. Sprinkle with chillis and pour over the lemon juice.
6. Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour at 170°C (325°F) Gas Mark 3.
7. Before serving, stir well to combine the lamb and rice. Divide the sliced onions into rings and arrange on the rice with the coriander leaves.
25 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!