2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt rapeseed oil
7/8 cup (200 g) 7 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 medium size eggs
2 cups (200 g) 7 1/2 oz flour (All purpose)
1 level tsp baking powder
1 level tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1/2 level tsp ground cinnamon
zest and juice of 1 orange
250 g carrots, peeled and grated
200 g quark (alternatively use the standard quark)
1/4 cup + 1 tsp (40 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to 325°C, 170°F, Gas Mark 3.
2. Grease and line a 1 kg loaf tin or a 20 cm cake tin.
3. To make the cake, mix together the oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and seive into the liquid mixture.
5. Stir in the zest and juice of the orange and the carrots then mix well.
6. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes then reduce the temperature to 300°C, 150°F, Gas Mark 2 and cook for a further 25 minutes. Cover with a piece of greaseproof paper if the top is becoming too brown.
7. Remove from the oven and turn out on to a wire cooling rack.
8. To make the topping, mix the quark with the icing sugar and orange zest then spread the topping over the surface of the cake.