1. Preheat the oven to 230°C, 450°F, Gas Mark 8. Place the flan case on a baking sheet. Spread the blackcurrant pie filling over the base of the flan case.
2. Make up the meringue topping by whisking the egg whites until dry peaks form, stir in a 15 ml spoon of the caster sugar, then whisk in the remaining sugar until the mixture is glossy.
3. Place the ice cream on top of the pie filling. Swirl the meringue mixture over the top, making sure that all the ice cream is covered.
4. Mix the quick gel with the water in a small saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Allow to cool slightly, making sure that it doesn't set.
5. Place the filled flan in the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Drizzle the quick gel over the top of the meringue in a zig zag pattern and serve immediately.