1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas Mark 3.
2. Heat the milk in a pan, until hand hot. Pour in the single cream.
3. Whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence, then slowly whisk in the milk and cream mixture.
4. Strain the egg mixture into 4-6 ramekin dishes and place in a roasting pan filled with 2.5 cm hot water.
5. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Allow to cool.
6. Spread the jam carefully over the baked custards, then arrange the fruit on top.
7. Spread the extra thick double cream over the top and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds before serving.