serves: 4 - 5
1 aubergine (egg plant), sliced
650 g lamb chops, defrosted
4 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, cut each into 8 pieces
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 2 cm pieces
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 2 cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
400 g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp spoons balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the aubergine slices on a large flat dish and sprinkle with salt, this is to remove the bitterness from the aubergine. After 15 minutes, drain off the excess liquid and pat the slices dry with kitchen paper.
2. Heat a griddle or frying pan until very hot and seal each chop on both sides before reducing the heat and cooking for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the aubergine, onions and peppers until softened.
4. Add the garlic, tomatoes, vinegar and thyme and then continue cooking slowly for 5 - 7 minutes, then season to taste.
5. Serve the chops with the ratatouille.
6. Sauted potatoes or parsnip mash would make an ideal accompaniment to this dish.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!