1. Half-fill a steamer with water and put on to boil.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, breadcrumbs, suet, sugar and currants in a bowl.
3. Make a well in the centre and add enough milk to give a fairly soft dough.
4. Form into a roll on a well floured board, wrap loosely in greased greaseproof paper and then in foil, sealing the ends well.
5. Steam over rapidly boiling water for 1 1/2-2 hours.
6. Unwrap the pudding, put in a hot dish and serve with custard or with a sweet white sauce flavoured with cinnamon or grated lemon rind.