serves: 4 - 6
2 tbsp spoons medium olive oil
400 g lamb, diced
2 x onions, chopped
2 x garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 tbsp ground paprika
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 aubergine (egg plant), diced
2 cups (500 ml) water
1 bunch loose flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz blanched almonds
juice and zest of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a 4 tbsp oil in a large saucepan.
2. Fry the cubed lamb for 2 - 3 minutes over a moderate heat until sealed all over.
3. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
4. Add the remaining oil and fry the onions and garlic over a moderate heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
5. Return the lamb to the pan along with the spices, stirring to coat.
6. Add the sweet potato and aubergine to the pan and pour over the water.
7. Stir, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the herbs and almonds and leave to simmer for a further 20 minutes.
9. Add the lemon zest and juice for the last few minutes of the cooking time.
10. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve on a bed of cous cous.