2 trifle sponge cakes (sponge fingers)
5 tbsp (75 ml) Grand Marnier
75 g (2 1/2 oz) mixed glace fruits
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
3 tbsp (45 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
1/4 cup (4 Tbls) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 large eggs, separated
icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1. Butter an 18-cm, 1.1 litre (7 inch 2-pt) souffle dish.
2. Cut the sponge cakes into cubes and soak in 15 ml (1 tbsp) of liqueur.
3. Rinse the glace fruits in very hot water. Dry and cut in to small pieces. Soak in 15 ml (1 tbsp) liqueur.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, then the milk.
5. Bring to boiling point, stirring, and cook until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
6. Remove from the heat. Beat in the sugar, egg yolks and the remaining liqueur.
7. lastly, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
8. Pour half the mixture into the souffle dish, arrange the sponge and fruit on top, then pour over the remaining mixture.
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes at 180°C (350°F) gas mark 4 until wrell risen, just firm to the touch and light golden brown.
Dust with icing sugar and serve at once.