serves 4 - 6
1 large mango, peeled and cut into julienne strips
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
some lettuce leaves
10 to 12 fresh coriander or mint leaves
2 tbsp olive or groundnut (peanut) oil
3 shallots or 1 onion, sliced finely
2 garlic cloves, sliced finely
2 small red chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
5 cm piece of lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, chopped finely
5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
8 tbsp hot water
500 g monkfish fillets, sliced
1. Put the mango strips in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and lime or lemon juice. Use the mixed lettuce and coriander or mint leaves to line a serving dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry all the chopped or sliced ingredients, but not the fish, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the fish sauce, vinegar and water, simmer for another 2 minutes.
4. Then add the sliced fish fillets. Let everything simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Take off the cover and let the fish cool to room temperature.
6. When the fish is cool, arrange the mangoes on top of the lettuce leaves and fish on top of the mangoes.
7. Chill for 45 minutes, and serve.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!