1 kg (2.2 lb) braising beef
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
25 g margarine
1 large onion, sliced
125 g unsmoked streaky bacon, cut into strips
1 large carrot, cut into large dice
2 sticks celery, cut into large dice
1 - 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bottle full bodied red wine
225 g chestnut mushrooms, wiped
for the dumplings
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz buckwheat flour
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz rice flour
75 g potato flour
2 tsp baking powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
20 g pack flat leaf parsley
75 g lard, grated
1. Preheat oven to 150°C, 300°F, gas mark 2
2. Coat the beef in the cornflour and fry it in the oil and margarine until lighlty browned.
3. Add the onion and bacon and fry for a further couple of minutes.
4. Stir in the carrot, celery, sage, rosemary, garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the red wine and cover with a tight fitting lid. Transfer to the oven and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Add the mushrooms and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
to make the dumplings
1. Mix all the flours and baking powder, seasoning and parsley in a bowl.
2. Blend in the grated lard and add enough cold water to form a dough.
3. Shape into 12 dumplings.
4. Add these to the casserole and return to the oven for about 30 minutes or until light and fluffy.
27 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!