8 oz (225 g) carrots, pared
8 oz (225 g) celery, trimmed
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
1/4 cup (25 g) 1 oz whole almonds, blanched and split
25 g (1 oz) long grain rice
4 cups (32 fl oz) 900 ml light stock
226 g (8 oz) can tomatoes grated
rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp (45 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
1 cup (100 g) mushrooms, quartered
4 whiting, filleted, skinned and cut into cubes
salt and pepper
1. Roughly chop the carrot and celery.
2. Melt 40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter in a flameproof casserole and saute the carrots, celery, almonds and rice until the almonds are browned. Add the stock, tomatoes with their liquid, lemon rind and juice. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Cream the flour with 25 g (1 oz) butter and whisk in small pieces into the sauce to thicken it.
4. Add the quartered mushrooms and cubes of whiting and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
5. Season to taste.
6. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with creamed potatoes.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!