serves 4 - 6
1 clove garlic, halved
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
250 g (8 oz) 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
250 g (8 oz) 2 cups grated Emmental cheese
2 teaspoons cornflour
2 tablespoons kirsch
pinch of white pepper
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
cubes of French bread, to serve
1. Rub the inside of the fondue pot with cut clove of garlic.
2. Pour in wine and lemon juice and heat gently until bubbling.
3. Reduce the heat to low and gradually stir in grated cheeses with a wooden spoon, then continue to heat until cheeses melt, stirring frequently.
4. In a small bowl, blend cornflour smoothly with kirsch, then stir into cheese mixture and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until mixture is thick and smooth, stirring frequently.
5. Do not allow fondue to boil. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
6. Serve with cubes of French bread.