2 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tbspeaspoon salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 cup + 2 tbspl. milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tbspeaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
2 pinches cinnamon
1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp. water
1. All ingredients must be at room temperature. Add ingredients in the order specified in your owner's manual.
2. Set machine to dough/manual setting. At the end of the cycle, press clear/stop.
3. To punch down dough, press start and let knead for 60 seconds.
4. Press clear/stop again. Remove dough and let rest 5 minutes before hand shaping.
hand shaping technique
1. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling by blending ingredients together with a fork until crumbly.
2. To make crumb topping, blend ingredients together with a fork until crumbly. Chill both until ready to use.
3. Lightly grease a 4-1/ 2 x 8-1/2 inch loaf pan. . On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 10 x 20 inch rectangle. Cover with filling up to 1 inch from the edges.
4. Roll up lengthwise, jelly roll fashion. . Pinch seam and ends securely together so that they don't open during baking.
5. Carefully place babka in prepared pan.
6. Fold ends under and shape into an S so that it fits into pan. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let rise until doubled in size.
7. Preheat oven to 350 ÂºF.
8. Form a crease in the top of the risen babka with the side of your hand. Brush with egg wash and cover with crumb topping.
9. Bake approximately 30 - 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. If babka begins to brown too quickly, cover top with foil. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.