Crudites (raw vegetables cut into bite sized strips and served with a dip)
serves 6 to 8
4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
crisp vegetables, such as carrots, celery and radish
1. Crush the garlic into a bowl, add the salt and egg yolks.
2. Whisk together well. Add 1 or 2 drops of oil and whisk.
3. Continue whisking the egg yolk mixture, gradually adding the oil until about 2 tablespoons of the oil has been added.
4. Add the remaining oil in a fine stream, whisking all the time.
5. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a little hot water.
6. Add the lemon juice and season with more salt, if needed. Cover and refrigerate.
7. Peel carrot and cut into 10 cm (4 in) lengths.
8. Cut celery the same size and trim stem and root from radishes.
9. Pile around the Aioli on a large platter.
9. The vegetables are dipped into the Aioli before eating.
11. Other vegetables such as mange tout (snow peas), cucumber sticks, fresh cauliflower florets, blanched asparagus tips and spring onions go well.