serves 4 - 6
1/2 oz (15 g) 3 teaspoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup light ale
1 lb (500 g) 4 cups grated Lancashire cheese
4 teaspoons cornflour
5 tablespoons single (light) cream
cauliflower flowerets, radishes and mushrooms, to serve
1. Heat butter in a saucepan, add onion and cook gently until soft.
2. Pour in ale and heat until bubbling.
3. Over a low heat, stir in the cheese and continue to heat until cheese has melted, stirring frequently.
4. In a small bowl, blend cornflour smoothly with cream, add to cheese mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes until smooth and thickened, stirring frequently.
5. Pour into a fondue pot.
6. Serve with cauliflower flowerets, radishes and mushrooms.