2/3 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising)wholemeal flour (whole grain)
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
150 g (5 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz light muscovado sugar plus 2 tsp (10 ml) light muscovado sugar
finely grated rind of 1 small orange
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 tsp (5 ml) Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
4 oz (100 g) currants, rinsed
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1. Lightly grease two baking sheets and set aside.
2. Put the flours into a bowl and rub in 100 g (4 oz) of the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
4. Cream the remaining margarine with the 25 g (1 oz) sugar.
5. Beat in the grated citrus rinds and spice, then add the currants.
6. Divide the dough into 10 portions and roll each into a round about 10 cm (4 inches) across.
7. Place a heaped teaspoon of the currant and spice filling in the centre of each round.
8. Bring the edges together over the filling and seal them by pinching firmly together.
9. Turn the pastry rounds over and roll out to a round about 7 cm (3 inches) across.
10. Place on the baking sheets and score the top of each cake with a knife. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
11. Bake at 200°C (400°f) mark 6 for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!