1 lb (450 g) potatoes, scrubbed
1 1/2 lb (700 g) fresh spinach, chopped, or
290 g (10.6 oz) packet frozen chopped spinach
1 onion, skinned and grated
2 garlic cloves, skinned and crushed
3 tbsp (60 ml) tomato puree (paste)
175 g (6 oz) low-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain wholemeal flour
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
1 egg, beaten
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool slightly, then peel. Mash well, turn into a bowl and leave to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, put the spinach into a saucepan, cover and cook with just the water clinging to the.leaves for about 5 minutes, until wilted. If using frozen spinach, cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes. Drain well.
3. Add the onion, garlic, tomato puree and 100 g (4 oz) cheese to the spinach. Add seasoning and mix well. Set aside.
4. Mix the flours into the mashed potato, then add the egg and seasoning. Mix well together and knead until smooth.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the potato pastry to a 30 x 25 cm (12 x 10 inch) rectangle. Spread over the spinach mixture to within 0.5 cm (jinch) of the edges.
6. Starting with a short edge, roll up like a Swiss roll and place joinside down on the work surface. Cut into 8 chunky slices. Place the slices, flat side down, on the baking sheet and pat out lightly with a knife to form neat rounds, about 7 cm (3 inches) in diameter.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown. Serve hot with a tomato salad.