2 cups (350 g) 12 oz fresh apricots, stoned (seeded)
1 small onion, skinned and chopped
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) chicken stock
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) grated nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
175 g (6 oz) low-fat soft cheese
strips of wholemeal pitta bread
4 oz (100 g) cooked chicken meat, skinned and cut into bite-size pieces
4 oz (100 g) cooked lean boned lamb, cut into bite-size pieces
a selection of raw fresh vegetables: cauliflower florets
cucumber, cut into chunks
red or green pepper, cut into strips
celery sticks, cut into strips
carrots, cut into strips
1. Put the apricots in a saucepan with the onion, lemon rind and juice, vinegar, stock and spices.
2. Cover and cook gently for 5-8 minutes, until the apricots are tender.
3. Discard the cinnamon stick and drain, reserving the liquid.
4. Puree the apricots in a blender or food processor with 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the liquid, until smooth.
5. Cream the cheese, then add the apricot puree and beat until well blended and smooth.
6. Add more of the reserved liquid to make a good dipping consistency.
7. Turn into a bowl, cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
8. Serve with a selection of bread, meat and vegetables.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!