2 cups (500 ml) water
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz sugar
40 g gelatine
for the decoration
6 angelica strips
125 ml (4 fl oz) double cream (heavy cream)
1. Put the water and sugar into a saucepan.
2. Pare the rind from three of the oranges.
3. Add the rind to the pan and bring slowly to the boil.
4. Leave to infuse for 10 minutes, keeping the pan covered.
5. Squeeze the juice from the oranges and lemons; make up to 500 ml with the extra orange juice if necessary.
6. Reserve the unpeeled orange halves for the baskets.
7. Put 2tbsp of fruit juice into a small heatproof container and soften the gelatine in it.
8. Stand the container in a pan of hot water and stir until dissolved.
9. Stir the fruit juice and dissolved gelatine into the sugar syrup.
10. Remove any pulp from the 6 orange halves and put the orange skins into patty tins to keep them rigid.
11. Strain the jelly into the orange shells and leave for about 2 hours until set.
12. Make handles from the angelica and set them in place with the ends in the set jelly.
13. Whip the cream until stiff.
14. Decorate the baskets with cream.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!