A combination of two fine sauces, great for eggs, poultry, sweetbreads, fish and vegetables.
1/2 pint veloute sauce
4 tablespoons tomato puree (paste) or 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
to make veloute sauce
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
1 pint white stock
salt and black pepper
1-2 tablespoons single or double cream (heavy cream)
to make aurora sauce
1. Blend the tomato puree or tomato paste into the sauce.
2. Stir in the butter (cut into pieces), and correct the seasoning
to make veloute sauce (makes 1/2 pint / 600 ml)
1. Make the roux with the butter and flour. Gradually stir in the hot stock until the sauce is quite smooth.
2. Bring to boiling point, lower the heat, and let the sauce simmer for about 1 hour until reduced by half.
3. Stir the sauce occasionally. Strain through a sieve, season to taste, and stir in the cream.
31 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!