125 g (4 oz) Blue Stilton cheese, crumbled
3 oz (75 g) 6 tbsp butter, softened
4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
8 rashers smoked back bacon
1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 glass red wine made up to 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) with chicken stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 level tsp (5 ml) arrowroot
Watercress (salad cress) to garnish
1. Whisk the cheese and butter to a smooth paste.
2. Beat out the chicken breasts between two sheets of damp greaseproof paper. Spread the butter mixture evenly on one side of each breast.
3. Roll up the chicken breasts and wrap in rinded bacon rashers. Secure with wooden cocktail sticks.
4. In a heavy-based pan, heat the oil and butter and brown chicken rolls well.
5. Pour in the red wine and stock, season, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove the cocktail sticks and place the chicken in a serving dish and keep warm.
6. Blend the arrowroot with a little water until smooth, pour into the pan juices and heat, stirring, until thickened. Season and spoon sauce over the chicken. Garnish with watercress sprigs.