makes 8 slices
1 1/2 lb (700 g) fresh spinach, rinsed
pinch of grated nutmeg
4 eggs, separated
finely grated rind of lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
unpeeled cooked prawns, to garnish
for the prawn filling
4 oz (100 g) curd cheese
2 tbsp (30 ml) low-fat natural yogurt
3 oz (75 g) peeled cooked prawns chopped
for the sauce
4 tbsp (60 ml) mayonnaise
4 tbsp (60 ml) low-fat natural yogurt
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp (5 ml) dill weed
1. Grease and line a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch), Swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
2. Cook the spinach in just the water clinging to its leaves until just tender. Drain thoroughly, pressing the spinach to remove excess moisture.
3. Chop the spinach finely and mix with the nutmeg, egg yolks, grated lemon rind and seasoning.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into the spinach mixture. Spread evenly in the prepared tin.
5. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for about 20 - 25 minutes or until well risen and set. Cool in the tin for a few minutes.
6. Invert the cooked 'cake' on to a sheet of lightly greased greaseproof paper. Remove the tin and lining paper.
7. Beat together the curd cheese, yogurt, prawns and seasoning. Spread evenly over the 'cake'.
8. Roll up as for a Swiss roll. Wrap the roll in the greaseproof paper and set aside until cool.
9. Mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, dill and seasoning to make the sauce.
10. Garnish the roulade with unpeeled prawns.
11. Serve sauce separately.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!